Adventure Canada is a dynamic leader in expedition cruising, bringing our clients to some of the world’s most untouched and remote regions. For over thirty years we have been dedicated to providing unique experiences to our clients through the breadth of experience our team members provide.
We are looking to hire an experienced Operations Manager to manage our operation in the expedition cruise travel industry. A successful candidate to this position must possess extensive operational experience (preferably in the travel industry), strong communication and leadership skills, ability to think on both macro and micro levels, and monitor multiple moving project parts.
As the Operations Manager, you must have the ability to problem solve, adapt quickly to changing logistics, motivate and organize the team, engage with all necessary stakeholders, oversee all elements required for the execution of an ongoing cycle of operations in a safe and successful manner. The operations department works to prepare multiple deliverables in a high-risk industry where shifting priorities and deadlines evolve continuously. The manager must have business management skills and the ability to identify and prioritize tasks in a fast pace environment.
This position is in Mississauga, Ontario. Travel internationally is a requirement of the job (majority between June and October).
The person hired in this role will be responsible for ensuring all key deliverables are met by the operations team. Effective leadership and hands-on management of the team will be required. This person will set department objectives and map out work plans of department members to achieve these goals. The Operations Manager will be accountable for the success of the department measured by improved processes, successful integration of new programming, compliance, objectives and effective budgeting. The role will also require collaboration and coordination with all other departments to ensure all pertinent details are collected, organized and communicated.
- Responsible for overall management, business leadership, development and supervision of the operations department
- Develop and implement strategies that will improve overall efficiency and effectiveness
- Provide necessary leadership and guidance to the team to ensure a safe and successful cruise expedition is executed
- Carrying out the mission, vision and values of the company as it pertains to the operation
- Directly responsible for operational procedures, permitting, logistics, procurement, and budgeting
- Meet and negotiate with suppliers to enhance procedures and processes
- Ensure quality control and operational compliance (Transport Canada, maritime legislation, port state control)
- Actively participate with the management team
- Interpretation and execution of contract obligations with a variety of stakeholders
- Create and evaluate operational procedures for reporting, cost approvals, accounts payable, emergency management and anything else required to work closely with the on the ground teams to drive operational efficiency and deliver a quality product to our passengers
- Perform on-call duties as required in order to quickly respond to emergencies, logistical changes and other variables
- Manage, coordinate and assist with all in-field operational functions to provide a superior passenger experience while driving safe, profitable and efficient operational practices; day-to-day marine operations with a primary focus on expedition cruises in the Polar regions
- 10+ years of operations experience, minimum of 5 in management (Travel industry preferred)
- Operational experience in the Polar regions, ability to read and understand ice charts, tide charts and other maritime tools
- Maritime specific experience a definite asset
- Attune to the Indigenous landscape within Canada
- Solid financial understanding along with cost management, business planning and goal setting
- Preference given to a robust experience and understanding of charter operational planning, requirements, contracts, execution and relationship management
- A polished professional with a resourceful approach; the ability to work independently and as a team player, leading by example, taking on initiatives alongside several other projects simultaneously
- Experience in managing teams to drive a complex layered operation
- Project management experience overseeing multiple team members to ensure accuracy, integrity and successful delivery of overarching project deliverables
- Cost conscious and demonstrated ability to deliver successfully within budget requirements
- Proven ability to create clear and achievable short- and long-term plans while working with multiple tasks, projects and timelines with frequent changes and interruptions
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to develop long term business strategies
- Experience working with remote teams
- Experience working with multiple technology platforms (google earth pro, Microsoft Suite, Cloud based servers, etc)
- Proven experience to effectively hire, onboard, manage and evaluate staff
- Polished public speaking skills with a clear ability to make connections and build relationships with ease
- Travel required
- Must commute daily to Mississauga
How to apply:
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
Adventure Canada is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter or contact us with the “Help” button in the application.
You are applying for: